Monday, January 18, 2010

Creamy Potato Soup with Roasted Garlic

Day 13: Simple Soup

Lucky number 13 is a simple and filling potato soup. I looked for recipes for an interesting potato soup (anything not potato leek soup) and was let down by my options. I knew I wanted something smooth and comforting so I decided to try my own thing. What I came up with was a simple potato soup that relies on the strong flavor of garlic, in this case, the roasted variety. I kept the soup purposefully simple to let the roasted garlic stand alone. I intended on making it with a hint of rosemary, but getting home discovered we were out. So instead I used thyme, which turned out well. I think either would work just fine. I served with a side salad and warm and grainy bread.

Creamy Potato Soup with Roasted Garlic

2 med heads garlic
2 tbsp+ olive oil
1 tsp dried thyme (or rosemary)
1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme (or rosemary)
1 med onion diced
3 stalks celery, diced
6 cups diced light skinned potatoes
6 cups vegetable broth
1 cup lowfat milk
salt and pepper to taste

Slice off the top part of each head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and dried thyme. Wrap in aluminum foil and place in a 450 degree oven for 45 minutes. In a soup pot over medium low heat cook onions, celery, and fresh thyme in 2 tbsp olive oil slowly until onions are just starting to caramelize. Add potatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring thoroughly. Add broth and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook until potatoes are very soft. Remove from heat.
Remove garlic from the oven when cloves are soft and golden brown. Remove cloves from skin and add to soup. Using a food processor or immersion blender blend soup until smooth. Add milk and season to taste with salt an pepper.

Jay's review:

4 yums (out of 5). Rosemary might be nicer...