Thursday, February 11, 2010

Broccoli and Cheddar Soup


Day 25: Copy Cat

I admit it, this is kinda a rip off of a recipe that I already posted. BUT, its my birthday, and while I wanted to cook some soup, I really put most of my effort into sitting on the couch eating chocolates and watching romantic comedies. So I used my old recipe for cream of broccoli soup and added a brilliant melted cheese topper to create tonight's soup:

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 small white skinned potatoes
1 lb broccoli, chopped
6 cups vegetable broth
1 cup lowfat milk
salt and pepper to taste
6 slices cheddar cheese


Heat oil in a large soup pot. Cook onion, celery and potatoes over medium high heat 5 minutes till lightly cooked. Add 2/3 of the broccoli and all of the garlic and cook until broccoli is bright and green. Add broth and mustard and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the vegetables are cooked and soft (about 20-30 minutes). Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and return to pot. Add milk and heat thoroughly. In the meantime steam remaining broccoli until soft. Add to soup and salt and pepper to taste. To serve ladle into a soup bowl and lay cheese slices on top. Place under a broiler until cheese is bubbling.

Jay's review:

3.5 yums (out of 5). Not as good as it sounded...